Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Weekend at the Lake

Well, we spent the weekend at my parents' lake house on Smith Lake (Alabama). My older brother Jim, his wife Karen, and their kids Kendall and Jackson, my younger brother Ben, my husband Kelly, and my daughter Parrish were all there. It was hotter than hot, so the lake was quite appealing. I got some great photos of the kids, and of Karen jumping off the sun deck 12 feet above the water. Ben, Kelly and Parrish had jumped from there last year, and Parrish did so again this year. Jim, and even Kendall also jumped this year. Jax and I were the only real chickens, and he doesn't count since he's not quite 5 years old! He stood up there for the longest time before taking the walk of shame back down the stairs. I couldn't let 7 year old Kendall outdo me, so I stood up there, looking down those 12 feet (which look like 40 from up there!), and trying not to panic. I went to the edge and retreated so many times I lost count. When I finally gathered the courage and made the leap, I thought I would pass out before I hit the water. As it was, my left ear popped and I got water in my nose. But I did it! I didn't completely chicken out, and I didn't have to take the walk of shame with my 4 year old nephew!



1 comment:

Melissa said...

Good for you for making "the leap!" About 10 years ago, I was working at a children's home during the summer, and we would take trips to a local water park with our kids. I climbed to the top of one of those platforms, got the rope, and couldn't do it. I just couldn't. I handed the rope to the next person, told them I was sorry, and made a lot of people upset as I went down the only other way - the ladder. I'm too much of a chicken - maybe one day I'll get some courage like you did!

Melissa (ckmb melz)